Thursday, December 22, 2011

My Holiday Traditions – Only 3 Days Until Christmas & Quick Cookies!

I am looking forward to the annual holiday traditions my immediate family has created over the years. First, Christmas Eve is spent at the home of my sister’s family. She and her husband are amazing cooks. Every year they delight us with innovative appetizers, main courses, and sides. The last 2 years we have enjoyed a “Turducken”, which is shipped from the South to Northern California. I always make dessert. A plain cheesecake is my sister’s favorite. Since I worked as an assistant pastry chef in college, I can make this one in my sleep! This year we will enjoy Persimmon Pudding with Hard Sauce and Chantilly Cream as well. YUMMY! Christmas Day is spent at my house where my husband and children all enjoy a big breakfast together. This year my Uncle is coming along with his flaky, “old school”, mouth-watering biscuits, just like my great grandmother used to make. Best part of breakfast this year is my husband has organized the children to execute all parts so all I have to do is enjoy in the meal. Christmas Day is for playing games and watching movies. Christmas dinner is my favorite, prime rib. I make it every year. It makes the house smell wonderful all day. I love, love, love it!

WOW! Only 3 days until Christmas and the fun has to start now! But wait, I forgot to make cookies to take to my favorite vendors…the dry cleaners, the UPS Store, the trainers that teach exercise classes at my health club, my hairstylist….the list goes on. If I only had a quick recipe I could make and deliver cookies to all of these great people that have helped throughout the year. But wait, I remember a friend of mine told me you could make cookies from a cake mix. I looked it up on Google and what to my wondering eyes should appear but many recipes all made clear! Here is a website and a recipe to get a start on making cookies quickly from a cake mix:


Ingredients
• 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
• 1/3 cup vegetable oil
• 2 eggs
• 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
2. Pour cake mix into a large bowl. Stir in the oil and eggs until well blended. Mix in chocolate chips. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets.
3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from pan to cool on wire racks.
Nutritional Information Yields 2 dozen cookies
Cake Mix Cookies I
Servings Per Recipe: 12 (2 cookies per serving)
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 387
• Total Fat: 20.3g
• Cholesterol: 36mg
• Sodium: 297mg
• Total Carbs: 51.4g
• Dietary Fiber: 2.1g
• Protein: 4.1g

Health Tip: Eat, Drink, Be Merry!
Do not deprive yourself of deliciousness this season! However, be mindful of ingredients and serving sizes. I love the holidays and I always eat delicious morsels I would never eat unless it is the holiday season with the exception of caviar. I could eat caviar everyday but that is just me. It happens that caviar is one of the most nutritious foods for an adult and most importantly for children. It really packs a nutritional punch! I always couch my holiday dining exploits with my vitamins . No matter what I do or do not eat I know my vitamins will keep me healthy. Visit this website to learn how you can find out how easy it is to know how healthy you are and how well your vitamins are working for you to prevent disease and increase your energy. Contact me for a personal evaluation of how well your vitamins are working or for a Preferred Customer price , a 30% discount on retail, on your supplements.

No comments:

Post a Comment